"You've got to love what you're doing. If you love it, you can overcome any handicap or the soreness or all the aches and pains, and continue to play for a long, long time."

Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 6: I'm on "The Desperate Plan"

DISCLAIMER: The following post may cause concern that I'm turning into a crazy health freak, and that would be an accurate assumption. Please view it as a reflection of my desperateness. If this doesn't work, I'm hopeless...

Alright, here's the deal, I have a plan, it's crazy, and I don't even know if it will help, but I have to try. The plan I'm about to outline is very involved and I'm hoping that as my symptoms become more under control, I can back off a little. It would be impossible to maintain such a plan if I were not an unemployed college student on summer vacation. Ha. I have three months. It's GO TIME!

The first part of the plan consists of initiatives directly related to TOS wellness. It mostly revolves around stretching, ice, and heat. I have a 30-minute stretching/relaxation routine that I do when I wake up, before I go to bed, and one other time throughout the day. Posture training is also a big part of TOS wellness, which makes upper body strengthening crucial. Other miscellaneous things include drinking lots of water, taking vitamins, and getting a massage every week (I had one yesterday and have the bruises to prove it!)

Viola Wellness-Naturally, I have a stretching routine for warm-up/cool down before and after every time I touch my viola. Also, I heat before I play and ice afterwards. Currently, I'm only letting myself play 20-30 minutes a day while my body makes a little progress. Last week, I started playing more than that, but my body was telling me I wasn't ready. Since I have an intense 3-week chamber music institute in July, it's critical that I begin building endurance soon. Next week, I'm going to start increasing my playing time, according to a "return to play schedule" I received at a performing artists clinic in St. Paul, MN sometime last year.

The rest of my plan is based upon the idea that every function of the body directly or indirectly impacts the rest of the body. So, here begins my ridiculously healthy lifestyle:

Exercise-
  • M/W/F-working out at The W (Wartburg's recreation center. I hope they can handle my Luther-ness.)
  • T/Th- Yoga, walking 3-4 miles
  • Weekends- some kind of physical activity. I might take up swimming or something...
Diet-
  • The anti-inflammatory diet: it's nothing special, really. It basically consists of eating everything that we've been told we're supposed to eat since we were little, and is based on the premise that some foods cause our bodies more inflammation than others. By eating anti-inflammatory foods, you can decrease inflammation within the body. Sign me up! My collar bones feel like they're on fire! Haha. Basically, I'll just be eating a lot of veggies, fruits, nuts, lean meat, whole-grain products, and low-fat foods. Not a lot of processed foods...oh, and no coffee... :(
Well, I think that's everything. If this doesn't help, then I don't know what will...

But again, that's why I'm on The Desperate Plan.

I will defy.

1 comment:

  1. Prayers for great strides into wellness and healing would be yours. Angel(a), you should do all that you can possibly do to pursue your dreams. May God assist you in their realization.

    ReplyDelete